Airbnb Travel Trends for 2018
Airbnb travel trends for 2018 as been released last week. Being a market leader in the accommodation industry, the analysis of the customer data reveals interesting findings and trends. We looked at the key results of the Airbnb travel trends report and discuss them below.
The report is about trending locations, types of accommodation and experiences user have booked.
MOST BOOKED GLOBAL CITIES
There is no surprise that some cities like Paris and New York are among the top 10 most booked global cities. However, some smaller cities like Lisbon and Miami managed to get into the top 10 most booked global cities of the Airbnb travel trends report. Here the list:
- New York City
Interesting to see that Tokyo is the most booked global city. Maybe this has to do with the high renting cost of Tokyo? Lisbon’s rise into the top 10 list may as well have benefited from the Websummit conference being hosted there where more than 60,000 people came to Lisbon to learn about the future in tech. TroopTravel was part of that conference in November 2017.
TREND IN ACCOMMODATION
The drive for experience rather than tactile goods is visible as well in the type of accommodation selection. We already discussed the importance of experience over location for destination selection earlier. An interesting article on how this tendency is effecting the airline industry can be found here. How does this trend shapes the accommodation industry? According to Airbnb, there is a massive increase in bookings of unique places which provides a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here the main results:
- Nature lodges booking increased by 700%
- Ryokan bookings increased by 600%
- Yurt bookings increased by 155%
- RV/camper bookings increased by 133%
Our friends from Cocovan will be very happy about the increasing demand of camper bookings.
The Airbnb travel trends for 2018 include some great insights about the influence of local development and events on attracting visitors. Gangneung in Korea for example tops the booming destinations due to the excitement of the upcoming 2018 Winter Games.
Here some findings on booming regional locations:
- United States: Cities in the midwest (e.g. Colombus, OH) are booming (254%) due to the improvements in their downtown districts with new restaurants, bars, etc.
- North America: Destinations within driving distance of the Rocky Mountains are attracting more guests than other locations.
- South America: Brazil is attracting a lot of visitors at their coastal cities.
- Asia: China apparently is one of the fastest growing Airbnb markets with Guangzhou topping the list (190%).
- Europe: Mediterranean enclaves like Cyprus are attracting remarkably more visitors than other locations in Europe
The top trending destinations are:
- Gangneung, Korea – 2175%
- Bournemouth, UK – 353%
- Edmonton, Canada – 284%
- Indianapolis, IN – 256%
- Da Nang, Vietnam – 255%
- Columbus, OH – 254%
- Gazimagusa, Cyprus – 234%
- Bilbao, Spain – 234%
- Hanoi, Vietnam – 212%
- Matinhos, Brazil – 209%
- Cardiff, UK – 206%
- Guarapari, Brazil – 205%
- Minneapolis, MN – 193%
- Oita, Japan – 190%
- Dunedin, New Zealand – 185%
- Mar del Plata, Argentina – 181%
- Fernie, Canada – 179%
- Zagreb, Croatia – 175%
- Mykonos, Greece – 173%
- Mazatlan, Mexico – 169%
MOST POPULAR EXPERIENCES
Last but not least, the Airbnb travel trends report talks about experiences. The most popular experience category remains food and drinks with a total of 29% of the experience bookings. However, Airbnb expects that demand for music and outdoor activities will grow in 2018. Here the top experience packages:
- Lisbon’s Best Flavors (Lisbon)
- Secret Concert in a Treehouse! (London)
- Raise a Glass to Prohibition (New York)
- Brixton Hidden Jazz Club (London)
- Hollywood Sign Walk to the Top (Los Angeles)